Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nerd Post

As I'm nearing the point of total insanity, I thought it might be wise to take a small breather from last minute graduate application extravaganza and write blog posts.

I'm told by those closest to me that I am "difficult to buy gifts for." This year my mother decided she was done and handed me money and said I'd better get something I enjoyed. And well...

This is what happened. You can see my toe in this picture.



As you may or may not know, I quit messing with PCs a few years ago and am not really so much up on the technology anymore. In fact, a year ago I purchased my first PC (custom from HP) in nearly a decade, and certainly my first desktop in the same amount of time. I've only recent begun to regret not having built it from scratch.

So anyway, I decided I'd spend the money upgrading my PC and ended up with an overclocked GTX 670 (a massive upgrade from the Radeon HD 6670 I was sporting before). I also doubled the amount of RAM installed. Exciting stuff. I don't know what I was expecting, but the first thing I noticed when I unpacked it was how enormous it was. I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a surprise to most modern gamers but I broke into laughing fits over it.

Massive in my mid-size case, which I now also want to replace. I wonder if there are AA type groups for this?
It was so ridiculously big in this case that I basically had to unplug everything from the motherboard before I could fit it in. Unfortunately I hit a pretty hard obstacle when I went to plug it into the power supply, noting I had only SATA and one lone PCIE connector. My PSU didn't have enough wattage to support the card.

Nora, distracting me from my technology induced brooding and pain
I really thought about sending it back and getting a 660ti which my PSU could have handled, but I figured... 

You only live once right? Even if application fees are due soon and bills and uh...
I should also mention I went without wireless for three days because I neglected to plug the antenna back in after I was done. I updated every driver, software, and ran a million different system scans and was about ready to do a fresh Windows 7 install when I popped it open and realized it was just sitting there, dangling the entire time.

yummmmmm
Unfortunately, there was one surprise left in this tale of romance and excitement:

...........
The card was big enough that with the PCIE connectors plugged in the cables stick out too far, meaning I can no longer close my case.

So now I'm shopping for cases, but it'll be a while before I can spend the cash...

This eases my pain

No comments:

Post a Comment